December 4, 2008

A Heartfelt Request for Your Help

I'm not the kind of person that opens up to a lot of people and I usually don't share things that are personal in nature; however, I'm making an exception this time and you will soon understand why.

In 2006 my Father was diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure. Congestive Heart Failure is a condition in which the heart does not pump at full capacity; therefore, causing fatigue, fluid to accumulate in different parts of the body, loss of appetite, and nausea among other things. My Father's heart was functioning at 20% capacity. He was also Diabetic and in September of 2007, he was admitted into the Jesse Helms Nursing Center in Monroe for treatment of a wound that was on his big toe. After exhausting all options, my family and I knew that ultimately, he would have to have his toe and possibly his leg amputated. He went thru surgery and had his toe removed. We opted to have him admitted into the Nursing Center so that his wound would get proper care and not risk getting an infection while building up his strength in preparation for the very good possibility that he would have to have his leg amputation. While in rehab at Jesse Helms Nursing Center, unexpectedly, he moved into Stage 4 Congestive Heart Failure and was given approximately 2 weeks to live. We were presented with the option of continuing with his medication to try to remove the fluid and take the chance of causing his kidneys to fail or to stop all medication. I felt the need to tell my Father the truth no matter how difficult. After many Family discussions and many many different opinions, I finally talked with my Dad and explained his options as they were explained to us. I also told him that if he wanted to me to tell him everything in detail, to let me know and I would. He never asked any further questions. I've often wondered if he knew the truth or if he was in denial. My Family and I knew he would never be able to have the surgery to amputate his leg. After many ups and downs and a lot of prayers, I lost my Father on December 29th 2007. During those difficult 3 months, my Family and I became to know he staff of the Jesse Helms Nursing Center and were very grateful that we knew my Dad was being cared for in the best way possible. While spending  so much time at the Nursing Center, I came to realize exactly how many patients were there with little or no visitors and no Family. Since this time of year brings back so many of those memories of my Dad while in the Nursing Center, I feel I need to do something in his honor. This is where you come in. I want to ask for your help in creating Handmade Christmas or Holiday Cards for the patients and staff of the Nursing Center in Memory of My Dad. In exchange for your help, I will offer every customer that brings in 4 cards a 25% discount on your entire purchase. We will need all cards turned into La Carta Bella by December 20th. My Family and I would greatly appreciate your help in fulfilling this huge undertaking.

Thank you in advance for your help.

No comments: